The Demon Creed by Paula Altenburg

by Paula Altenburg

(Entangled Select)

Release Date: 5/26/14

Genre: Paranormal Romance

As a highly skilled assassin, Creed is used to being called upon by the Godseekers for help. But in a world just recently rid of demons, the task to now track down half-demons isn't as easy as it seems. Not only is Creed himself a secret half-demon now going against his own kin, but when he discovers numerous innocent children are being kidnapped in the mountains, he second guesses his mission. Justice should be for all, not just for demon spawn.

Living in a world of cruel men, Nieve has no memory of her life before her enslavement. But when Creed comes around asking questions about missing children, the memories of her half-demon son - and the demon who tricked her - come flooding back. Now, Nieve will do anything to get her son back...even if it means putting her trust in Creed.

Together they set out to find the Demon Slayer who can help them. Little do they know the demon who fathered Nieve's son is also searching for Nieve, and he's teamed up with the kidnapper to draw her out.  Creed and Nieve must race against the clock to save the children, their hearts, and the world.

Tagline: Never show fear to a demon.

Amazon / B & N / Goodreads / Entangled Publishing

*Guest Post*

What I’m Watching

Paula Altenburg

…Aside from the neighbours, and the various celebrities I stalk online. Thanks for outing me, Facebook.

I don’t watch a lot of television. I don’t like to invest the amount of time required in following a story line unless the story line is incidental to the show. For example, I love the Big Bang Theory. For most of the seasons, the underlying story line had to do with the relationship between Penny and Leonard. If I missed an episode, I didn’t feel as if I missed anything important that couldn’t be recaptured in reruns. I like the jokes. I love Sheldon Cooper and his bromance with Star Trek’s Will Wheaton.

As far as movies go, again, if I’m going to invest the time and the money (because I like the movie theatre more than a little), then it’s got to be something I’m dying to see. The new X-Men movie is on this list. So is the second Spider-man movie, of course.

Netflix, however, is poised to change my life and my viewing habits.

We live in a remote rural area with broadband internet access that’s been somewhat sketchy. Netflix has been torture unless we watched it at 3:00 am. (And yes, we’ve done that. Desperation makes people do strange things.) It could take over three hours to watch a 1.5 hour movie because it would reload. Incessantly.

The reality of living in rural Nova Scotia is that, if you don’t see a movie in the theater, you’re SOL. Your options are buying the DVD or watching it on Netflix. (See dilemma noted above.)

Then, around Christmas, our satellite signal started dropping at inopportune moments and for indeterminate periods, like when my son was trying to submit a paper online  to his Master’s program in Ontario. (Fun times.) We assumed it was user overload because the neighbourhood kids were all home from school, so I largely ignored it.

As soon as it inconvenienced me, however, I called in a complaint. I work from home and rely on the internet. It’s a bit difficult to communicate with editors, agents, and publicists, and turn in manuscripts, when your internet access keeps dropping.

Long story sort of shorter. The service provider changed our signal, and now we can watch Netflix.  That means we can watch entire television series in a few sittings. It also means we can start a movie to see if we like it, and if we don’t, we can ditch it.

Hugo, for example. I saw the trailer for this in the theater and it definitely tweaked my interest, but I didn’t make it to the theater in time. Another reality of rural life is that you can’t always catch something while it’s playing, which means a choice has to be made. Buy the DVD or never see it at all?

I am absolutely, 100% in favour of buying DVDs. I’ll often see a movie in the theater and then pay full price for the movie when it comes out on DVD so I can watch it again and again. I believe in supporting the arts. After all, I’m not thrilled when people tell me they download books for free (although I do understand it, so don’t worry if you’re guilty of it).

Now that we can watch Netflix, however, Hugo was the first thing we streamed. We got to watch the entire movie from start to finish, without any reloading.

It’s also broadening our viewing horizons. I am not at all a Will Ferrell fan. I don’t like teenage boy humour movies unless I’m watching teenage boys watching them, in which case they can be hysterical. One night, however, we wanted to watch a comedy and decided to give WF a chance. We didn’t have to watch the whole thing if we hated it.

Has anyone else seen Casa de Mi Padre?

I actually enjoyed it. The entire movie was in Spanish, complete with English subtitles to give it a “faux foreign flick” feel. And for the record, I didn’t know coyotes couldn’t be trained either, although I suppose it’s a logical enough assumption. (Watch the movie. You’ll get the joke.)

I’m also guessing that in a few months, my disparaging comments about people who watch dumb movie humour or cheesy television series will have ceased entirely. I watched The Heat, with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.  *Hangs head in shame.*

The Altenburg household has dipped its toes into entertainment technology. It’s a whole new viewing world for us.

Send help.

About the Author:

I’d like to be able to say I always wanted to be a writer, but the truth is I thought it looked like a lot of hard work. Life, however, sometimes leads us down paths we never intended to take.

From the very beginning, my parents encouraged my love of books. When a Grade One teacher suggested I wrote too many “thrillers,” my mother, an English teacher, said I could write – and read – whatever I wanted. My high school English teachers later backed her up on that. In university, I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Anthropology. At the time it was a whim, but it’s amazing how much that little piece of paper has benefited me over the years.Researching the history of civilizations has led to many intriguing worldbuilding possibilities.

When my children were babies and money was tight, my mother, grandmother, and husband bought me an electric typewriter for my birthday because they knew I was bored and wanted me to be happy. My mother became my very first critique partner, willingly reading pages and pages of manuscripts no one should ever have to suffer through. She researched markets for me, and introduced me to a journalist friend, who in turn introduced me to the Writers Federation of Nova Scotia. My brother and my brother-in-law introduced me to Thieves’ World, David Eddings, and Piers Anthony. My sister gave me my first computer.

My grandmothers believed if something’s too hard, you aren’t working hard enough. My brother and sisters have all successfully followed their dreams, and my husband and two sons offer me proof every day that hard work is something to be embraced, not avoided. With these people behind me, how could I possibly stray from a path on which life seems to have planted them as guardrails?

Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads